Hey everyone! This year I am lucky because I can spend Easter time with my family. I am not a person who focuses on the religious side of this holiday; however, it’s a good time for the family meeting and I like an aesthetic aspect of Easter. Spring colors, cute bunnies, and flowers everywhere. The weather is warmer and warmer every day which brings new energy! But today I would like to focus on Easter food ideas. Typical Polish Easter menu is full of different kinds of meat and a ton of eggs. I have been vegetarian since 2003 and I remember that my family always prepares something special without meat for me. It’s a little more complicated since I’ve started to be vegan. This year Easter brunch will be in my family house, so I decided to cook some vegetarian and vegan meals for them. I think you don’t need to be vegan to enjoy these recipes 🙂
- Vegan “Żurek” soup
Easter without „Zurek” soup is not Easter! Polish people love this sour rye soup. Usually, we serve this soup with white sausage and boiled egg. Below you can find a vegan version of „Zurek” where instead of sausages and egg you can find potatoes. This inspiration I’ve found on the blog jadlonomia.com – one of my favorite website with vegan recipes.
To cook a broth you need:
- 1,25 L (2,6 pt lqd) water
- 3 carrots
- 2 parsley roots
- small piece of leek
- piece of celery root
- bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish
- 300 ml (10 oz) of homemade rye sourdough
- 4 white potatoes
- your favorite spices: oregano, marjoram, herbs de Provence, lovage, salt and pepper;
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 C degrees (392 F). Cut potatoes into small pieces and mix them with 2 tbsp of olive oil and herbs (oregano, marjoram, herbs de Provence, lovage, salt and pepper). Bake them around 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare a broth: cook vegetables with 300 ml (10 oz) of homemade rye sourdough. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf. Boil around 1,5 hour.
- Serve it together in the baked bread with fresh herbs.
2. Baked eggs in bread bowls
The second idea that I wanna show you are baked eggs in bread bowls or its vegan sweet version – apricots in puff pastry. It’s a perfect idea for breakfast. In Poland, we call it „French breakfast”. It’s tasty and you can prepare it in 25 minutes.
- 2 bread rolls
- 2 eggs
- Your favorite herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees (350 F). Slice off top of each bread roll and remove some bread to create a hole to accommodate an egg.
- Crack an egg into each bread roll. Add your favorite herbs, salt and pepper on the top.
- Bake around 25-30 minutes. Serve warm!
3. Vegan “eggs” in puff pastry
It was always a problem to replace eggs for something vegan. When I discovered this recipe my first thought was „It looks like a real egg!” Preparing takes only 20 minutes and it’s a great idea when you want to surprise your friends. You need just three ingredients: puff pastry, vegan yogurt and apricots.
- Prepare puff pastry squares, put 1 tbsp of vegan yogurt and half of the apricot in the middle. Then bend the corners to form the shape from the picture below.
- Preheat oven to 200 C degrees (392 F). Bake it around 15-20 minutes.
4. Carrot muffins (vegan)
Last but not least are my favorite Carrot Muffins! It’s number one of my Easter brunch the last few years. Even my aunt, who doesn’t eat candies, likes them. They are healthy and sooo tasty as well! You can find a naturally sweet taste without artificial additives.
What do you need?
- 4 carrots
- 1 and 1/2 glass of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- spices: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 glass of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs (I use vegan eggs in powder)
- 1 glass of cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla icing sugar
- I also add a little orange peel
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees (350 F).
- Peel and grate carrots. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In the second bowl combine vegetable oil, eggs (vegan eggs), sugar, vanilla extract and orange peel.
- Then combine both mixtures together.
- Fill cupcakes pan with batter and bake around 25 minutes.
The present is a treasure; let’s enjoy it to the fullest. Have a Happy Spring!